Monday, May 16, 2011

Banana Bread Bomb

Good grief - I haven't posted on here for over a month...

If I was under any delusion that I had overcome my more severe food addictions, the last few weeks - especially Saturday - has proven that wrong beyond a shadow of a doubt.  I have been maintaining my weight loss very well over the last five months.  I still have had my basic "fences" up - no flour, no cheese, no baked goods, no pizza, no pasta, no breakfast meats or sandwiches.  But I have been experimenting on how I can effectively make this into a lifestyle of food management.

  • I have taken up drinking coffee.  I have enjoyed the experience of trying different kinds of beans, flavors of syrup and creamer, and hot/cold options.  One surprising side effect was that it drastically cut down on my frozen yogurt consumption.  I read an article the other day saying how having some sort of sweet food after meals really helps to show your body it is "done eating."  Yogurt had always served that purpose for me at the end of the day.  But, with intermittent sweet things like coffee during the day, I have found that I haven't needed that closing dessert.  Plus, the combined caloric intake from my three cups of coffee is less than my one bowl of fro-yo.  That is, until Starbucks brought out the Mocha Coconut Frapaccinos and put them on half price.
  • I have almost completely switched to ground turkey at the house.  We never really buy red meat any more.  And, unless it is in something we order out, we don't eat red meat at all.  I never liked ground turkey much.  It was too dry and flavorless.  Then I discovered how to cook it.  And I found out that it was cheaper than ground beef at Costco.  So the switch is on.  Honestly, I don't think we've bought red meat at our house for six weeks now.  And I don't hear anyone complaining.
  • Around Easter, Publix ran a BOGO special on Dove chocolate.  I am NOT a chocolate fanatic like my mom or Gabe or my friend, Benji.  I like chocolate fine.  But I am usually good eating one piece of dark chocolate.  I got two bags of the Dove Promises and had one or two a day.  I nursed those bags for over a month.  I felt this wasn't a problem because chocolate has never been a problem for me to leave alone - and it served that same purpose I mentioned the coffee served.
  • I have been trying different dips during this whole experience.  I was surprised to discover that I really enjoy guacamole and hummus - especially Sabra's spinach artichoke version.  Plus, I found Riceworks brown rice chips.  In the afternoon, I'll eat a handful of chips dipped in the hummus.  When we go to a Mexican place, I allowed myself some tortilla chips with salsa and guac.  This was something I had stayed away from for months.  But I started to allow it - making the argument with myself that it was corn and not wheat flour.  (Shaky argument, at best, I realize.)  This is where things started to get messy.  
Corn is a weird food.  It is a vegetable, but when a person is trying to reduce their carb intake they are told to avoid corn.  It can be used as a flour so easily that you can replicate most things that have flour in them with corn.  To most people, it is not really a big deal.  But, to a person who has relied on a strict set of rules and guidelines to break an addiction, it is a big problem.  At first, I allowed myself corn as a veggie option. In fact, I ate it frequently.  But I didn't allow myself the corn flour options - corn chips, cornbread, tortillas. They were too close to problem foods for me.  Plus, they were essential ingredients in some of the foods I couldn't have - like tacos, burritos, quesadillas.  As much as I liked those things, I didn't like other corn offerings.  I have never liked cornbread or corn tortillas very much.  So, I kind of had a hard time drawing the line over the last sixteen months or so.  

I allowed myself cornbread with some chili one time.  Then I had it at a BBQ place another time.  Soon, I found that I was ordering it every time it was an option.  I don't know if it was part of my changing taste buds that have allowed me to embrace other foods I used to hate (pickles, sweet potatoes, hummus, avocado, meatloaf).  It also could have been that I was so desperate for anything that looked or tasted like bread that it sucked me in.  Either way, I noticed that I was having a hard time turning it down.  Also, the tortilla chips started to be a problem.  When I went to a Mexican place once a month, it wasn't that big of a deal.  But it started to be that the people we were with wanted to go to those kinds of restaurants more often.  Now I was being confronted with chips and salsa and guac weekly (or more).

Those things combined with a trip to Orlando, lots of hours in the car, and eating out more while away from home.  Next thing I knew, I had gained five pounds.  260.  Not necessarily a big deal.  But, to me, it was a big problem.  I couldn't allowed for that slow degeneration.  I had to be more careful.  When I got back home, I was much more careful.  Corn bread went into the "bread" category and was banned.  The chips had to go back to a "once in a rare while" category.  I went back to my normal routine of yogurt, meat/beans/rice mix for lunch, and dinner.  The coffee remained, but the Fraps went out the window.  I was able to drop three pounds last week - which made me feel better.  But I knew I needed to be more careful.

Which is why Saturday was so shocking to me.  I had bought stuff to make a nice breakfast for Heather and the kids.  I scrambled up eggs, made some bacon, toasted up some, uh, toast.  I know all of these are no-nos for me.  I am allergic to eggs.  Bacon and toast are on my banned list.  But I had a half piece of bacon when I was getting the kids their food.  I had eaten bacon a couple times, and each time I realized I need to leave it be.  This time was no different.  I started to feel like I needed to have more.  It didn't help that there was a lot left over.  I managed to fight off that draw, but as a reminder of the slip up I had indigestion for hours from the piece I had.

We had a bunch of old bananas on the counter.  I usually toss them.  I am not wasteful when it comes to food.  But I intentionally got rid of the old yellow fruit because the only good things I knew to make with them was banana bread (or some variation).  Baked goods are one of my major problem foods.  And banana bread has always been one of my absolute favorites.  So, I got rid of the bananas on purpose.  This time, though, I decided to make the bread and send it in to Heather's classmates or the kids' teachers or something.  I found a great recipe and made the bread.  I had no clue if the kids would like it or not.  So I had them try it.  I cut off the end piece - knowing they wouldn't want that.  The big kids loved it.  But that end was sitting there, getting wasted.  And I wanted to know if it was a good recipe.

It was.

This was the first wheat flour I had eaten since January 2010.  It was the first sweet baked good I had in that time too.  Good grief, it was incredible.  I don't know if it was distance making the heart grow fonder or what.  But it was amazing.  The kids wanted a second piece, which I gave them.  Then I wanted Gabe to try it.  He didn't like it.  (He's weird.)  So, I went ahead and ate the rest of his piece.  When Heather got home, she tried it and agreed it was great.  But I knew I was in trouble.  Every time I walked past the kitchen, I wanted some.  When I cut some for the rest of the family later, I had to fight off the urge to have another piece.  Finally, I put it away and said, "This is precisely why I never have made this."  

The whole experience showed me that I am NOT over the addictions - they just are dormant.  But they will flare up the second I have a chance to feed them.  I have many times wondered what would happen if I was to eat one of the slices of pizza when I am serving the kids on pizza and movie night.  What about if I had one of these cupcakes or a donut?  Couldn't I handle having Cheerwine on tap just once at 4Rivers Smokehouse?  Well, Saturday (and the last few weeks) showed me.  I would be back hooked on those foods faster than you could believe.  I remember years ago I tried to give up soda.  I didn't have it for six weeks.  Then I went to a Tampa sub shop that had specialty sodas and had a root beer.  I was back on a full time soda habit within two weeks.  That is what happens with an addiction.

The encouraging thing to see was how quickly I recognized what was happening and was able to compensate.  I adjusted my actions and kept moving.  I didn't beat myself up.  I didn't go on a banana bread bender.  I realized the danger and changed my behavior.  I know I have to be more careful.  I can't take my success for granted.  There needs to be constant diligence.  As good as those foods are, they are not worth feeling like I used to and gaining weight.  So the bananas either need to go away - or the bread needs to be baked and removed as quickly as possible.  And the corn products need to be better regulated.  And I need to stick to coffee drinks without the word FRAP in them.  

3 comments:

  1. So, how do you cook ground turkey? We don't eat much beef anymore either.

    We do still pray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one thing I realized is you have to over-season it. If I put in the same amount of seasoning as ground beef, it is pretty bland. So I make sure I use more than I normally would. When I am putting it in a chili type thing, I use Salt, Pepper, Garlic (S/P/G) and then Emeril's Southwestern seasoning. If I am putting it into spaghetti, I use S/P/G and then Italian seasoning and onion powder. I'll do the same thing with the meatloaf - except with bread crumbs, milk, poultry seasoning, thyme as well.

    ReplyDelete